Thursday, March 21, 2013

Aaaghhhh I don't know scripting

Sorry, little bit TOO big of a wall of text. But...


After trying out the idea of flipping the planes (Panels) to fix the disappearing issue, and also "muting" the colors of the environment textures, Maya froze and crashed on me. I freaked out when after two attempts to reopen the file, only to be greeted with a white screen and the busy cursor. I shouldn't have been too surprised at the long loading time, since right before Maya crashed, I had all the textures still turned on... 
I was so afraid that everything in my project disappeared when it failed on the 3rd try. However I noticed that Maya said all the objects were still there, even though all I could see was white . So I decided to save the current file under a different name and tried opening that file. Everything finally loaded!! 

I imported the file into Unity but still had the issue of certain panels "disappearing". I don't know if they're the same panels or not, since I didn't take note of which ones were missing but from what I could tell briefly, some of the panels were fixed. 
Unfortunately, I'm having trouble figuring out which exact panels needs to be flipped. I absentmindedly flipped all the panels, rather than the ones that were disappearing in Unity. Then again, there were panels that were disappearing every other frame so that didn't help me when it came to figuring out which panel had to be flipped. 
I was about to try a suggestion of the Normals but realized in a way it's a similar situation of if I do something to all the panels instead of the ones causing issues, it might not fix the issue. So I had to figure out how to note which objects needed their normals reversed and which didn't. 

After searching around on Google about Normals and how to figure out which objects needed their Normals fixed, I found a useful post. If two-sided lighting is turned off and objects appear solid black, then they need their normals reversed. 

This solved the issue! I'm so glad I don't need to stress about this anymore (I've got enough stress as is.) Unfortunately, I have absolutely no scripting or coding knowledge so I don't know what I'm doing. 

I found forum posts of similar things I'm trying to code but I don't know for sure what's accurate and what coding language I need to use. I'm at a loss of what to do and how to write the info I've found. 
While I do have a script for the 2D pop up text, Unity apparently is giving me an error. (See Scripting Card in Work in Progress List for screenshots.) Unless I need to create an object for Unity to not give me an error message about the "string"..?

No comments:

Post a Comment