Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Home for the holidays which means..!

3:17 pm Eastern

I was halfway through typing Pacific before I realized I was writing the wrong timezone. It's been an odd couple of days for my sleeping schedule; I think I'm still stuck on my Pacific time sleeping schedule. Hopefully I can fix it so I can wake up not so close to noon or go to bed so late...
My eyes are kind of feeling the effects of a messed up sleep schedule now...

I also need to figure out how I want to rewrite the beginning of my comic. The 3rd version, version I started over the summer, has it so it starts from the very beginning with how the main character arrives at the other world but I'm starting to think it's a really slow way to start the comic. I've read comics where the action starts relatively soon.

My original plan for this version was to do a few pages where it explains how the character arrived in the world from her real world and how the first group of people she meets aren't very trusting of her. It's only natural they don't since her story sounds too ridiculous to be true; getting sucked into a vase and sent to outer space of the other world, only to arrive right outside of the heroes' base of operations. Suspicious right? But I think I spent too long on the build up since it seems slow.
I was thinking of adding a page of text, dialogue spoken by the main antagonist, that hints about what the main plot is or at least her way of thinking. Readers won't know it's her words...unless they read this post first then they might know.
Version 4, yea I've written that many rewrites of this now, would open up with that brief dialogue. That might be just one page...actually no, it's too brief and makes the whole page look too bland and empty so half a page at most. The other half of the page could be...present day/current spoken text directed at the main character. But is that too much text for the first page? Oh I could do a level shot of the base to set the scene.  Or a birds eye. Ok! Page 1 version 4 figured out!
Now page 2.

I can either do a closer level shot, focusing on the character and a few of the people before bringing the camera at her face with the questioning going on. Oh! I can skip the initial confusion I had going on in the first few pages, scrap those and condense it into the questioning room scene. I can show those brief initial confusion scenes as 1-panel flashbacks in between the questioning, to show they're in the back of the main character's mind as she's getting questioned. I should make note that she doesn't know if these people are heroes or villains yet, I have a scene for answering that. I'll keep the same plan of Team Q head to city due to a large hostage situation with the guy who plans on blowing up the city w/ a bio- hazard material and the brother of the main character is in that city, pure coincidence ...or is it? He's utterly confused, just as his sister was, sees someone who looks like his sister but turns out it wasn't her. *hint hint*
And then I can move on from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment