Tuesday, December 31, 2013

New Year's Times Square - painting

4:26 pm Eastern

Several movies and nights later, I finally completed the painting!
Originally, the color palette was a blue and orange, with hints of yellow and green but after playing with the hue/saturation settings, I started liking the purple/blue- red/orange color palette a little more than my original color selection. My original color palette was a more realistic color approach, whereas the purple,red,blue color palette was a more slightly symbolic approach. I don't know if it'll make sense symbolically for everyone, but the warms are for the warmth of being with family and/or friends during New Year's while the cools are geared towards the cold night for everyone, especially those who are at Times Square until past midnight.
I had to find references to see what buildings were around the clock, where the New Year's ball sits and fireworks shoot out from when it hits midnight. References were definitely my friend since I wanted to paint a different angle than the usual front & center, 1 point perspective at the center, approach. It was important for me to figure out what buildings and signs were at the particular angle and height I wanted. I took a bit of a simplistic approach and simplified a few of the buildings and their details but the general idea and hopefully recognition is there.






No comments:

Post a Comment