Saturday, January 11, 2014

Changed up my portfolio site and some housekeeping

10:57 pm Eastern

I spent a good amount of time trying to work with the Dynamic View template Blogger has for users for my portfolio site since I really liked the flipcards and the slightly minimalist appearance. However, for some reason, images within the posts weren't showing up. Luckily there's the internet and through the Internet, I found out the reason was due to blog feed option being set as something other than "full". Some of the images showed up for my posts but I'm missing about 2/3 of them from the blog posts. I may have to play around with the posts themselves since the first row got the images back. That could wait. The major issue I had for most of the night, until I fount out which end the issue was coming from, was my Twitter feed not showing up on my porfolio site. At this point, I hadn't checked back with my main blog to see if that was still showing the feed. I could have sworn I saw it working earlier today though....
Anyways, instead of the feed , I was getting " Tweets by @Lillian Lily Chen "  and  the script for the widget! Because I saw that script, I assumed it was the template's fault rather than Twitter. Again, I hadn't checked my main blog at this time to confirm my assumption. I spent hours searching on the web for a) another template, b) how to add a Twitter widget without using the usual code for the widget and c) if it was possible to add a Twitter widget at all into the Dynamic View template. I didn't get a clear answer to C but if this was around 1-2 years ago, it would have been a no probably. I then finally decided to check Twitter's forums for documentation and issues, hoping to see if it was because of either the template or Blogger instead of just me. A few threads down, I see many threads mentioning the same exact issue I have. I then checked my main blog and ta da  , it was missing its feed too. Turns out there's an issue within Twitter, rather than Blogger and Twitter is already aware of the issue. According to the responses some people have been suggested/offering, the domains need to be typed into the widget settings? I have no clue where in the code it needs to be typed though. not a programmer or computer science person.There's also a clear browser cache suggestion. I might as well try that first before anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment