Thursday, February 20, 2014

Shin Megami Tensei Imagine Online memories

4:37 pm Pacific

This post is going to be a little different than usual, subject wise.

I found out today that SMT is closing down, though it seems like the Japanese servers will still be running.
It's saddening to find out that a game where I connected with people online for the first time and stayed with for about 2 years, is closing. My first MMO was a social mmo that was pretty generic (choose a class, fight things, turn in quests, repeat) called Dream of Mirror Online. I found out last year that it was closing down but I had no emotional connections with it since I had quit many years ago; heck I even gave away every item and gold my character had in that game to break all ties. It was some short amount of time after I quit DoMO that I joined the SMT community and it really was a great community to experience for the first time, as I was in the senior year of high school / first year in college. That was around 2009, give or take a few months. I made so many friends (perfect strangers but we were still friends).
Memories...

  • I was asked by a clan mate to help him with his character's appearance; I was really happy when I was the one asked. 
  • I organized clan meeting photo shoots, even though it drove me crazy trying to find a good time for everyone in at least 4-5 different time zones. (Easter, central, pacific, GMT, philippines' time zone and one other one I can't recall.) 
  • Reached the lvl 90s range I believe; helped and was helped by clan mates to run Ichi Gold.
  • Made my fenrir pretty strong; I don't remember to what level but he was my proudest achievement
  • Collected DCMs and boy was I determined to get them like the ones from timed Sugi or timed *insert tower dungeon in lower Shibuya map*
  • Joined DB clan mates in other games that they played after months of getting to know them
  • finally got courage to use my mic on voice over IP program with DB clan mates
  • drama and finding out just how emotionally attached I was to my friends in DB
  • found out the stress of being a clan leader / sub leader (I'm pretty sure I was just sub leader but I have the faint memory of being made temp. leader before being thrown the role.)
  • leaving the drama behind and joining Sorina
  • making more new friends in Sorina and  in SMT as well
  • joining my new clan mates in new events
  • reconnecting with old clan mates in SMT and in other games they play as well
  • rejoining the voice chat program with both new and old clan mates
I'm reminiscing.

When the news of SMT being turned over to a new company came around, I had stopped my activeness in game and on forums but I still made sure I signed in so my characters could be transfered over to the new company and server. But I never reinstalled. I was close once but later years of college work prevented me since I didn't want to repeat my freshman year experiences with staying up late playing games. In hindsight, I might have been able to play a little bit but risk having my work suffer. I kinda wise I at least signed on to chat with my friends. I do have some of those friends as my Facebook friends but there are only a few compared to the number of people I became friends with in game. Now that the news of it being closed came around, a massive group was made for all SMT players and I'm getting the chance to reunite with them. 




No comments:

Post a Comment