Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Painting forum signatures

Recently, I decided to finally paint a signature for the guild forums I've been more active in.
It took me a bit to figure out a slightly creative way of displaying the text, though it's probably not that creative. 

I started the process with creating a gradient and sketching out the pose and clothing. After that, I painted in the values, blended, then added an overlay layer with the colors over the values. 
Originally, the text "Flaming Lily" was written over the partial painting and towards the bottom, but I didn't like it. I had the idea of having the full name of my character on the side where the "nickname" (in game name) was sticking out more than the "full name" (first and last name). 

The original painting, where I only wrote my in game name on the bottom, generated an interest with one of the guild members and I accepted the request to paint one for him. 
He sent me 3 reference screenshots of his character in their respective clothing and poses and I proceed the same process to paint the signature out. 


I've sent him the image and may or may not make changes depending on what he'd like to change. 


7 comments:

  1. Turned out even better than the concept image I had in my head, and only took about 36 hours from the time I provided the screenshots. In any field it's hard to find work that is both good -AND- fast these days, but we've got a winner here, folks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks!
      And ahaha, was it really only 36 hours o_o?!

      Delete
    2. No, I borked the math... It was actually ~ 25h10m between when I sent you the screenshots and you linked back the finished product. *chuckle* I double-checked the timestamps on the messages b/c I hadn't emptied the bin yet *grin* Of course, we'd batted messages around for a couple of days before that for the concepts so you probably already had a mental layout, but you still had to get it from your brain to the image.

      Delete
    3. Haha, that's still less than I imagined!

      I guess I kinda did have a general layout from the earlier messages; I think there was one where you had mentioned the general idea you had? Unless I'm imagining that.

      Delete
    4. More like a chain of them with separate bits as they solidified in my head. If I'd waited to give it all as one cohesive whole, I'd have forgotten the first bits by the time I knew the last ones ;)

      Delete
    5. Haha, it was totally fine that way.
      (I'd probably be the same if I had to recall all my ideas @_@... )

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete