Saturday, September 6, 2014

Redesigning characters from well known stories

I can't think of a shorter title than this for the assignment I got from my Inspirational Art for Animation class.
The assignment, from how long we're spending on character design, is probably for 3 weeks? Or at least we're spending on  character design. But the entire assignment is our whole semester's project. I guess better wording would be, the character design portion would be for only part of the semester while background and environment would be the majority. At least that's how the lectures are going to end up like.


This week's assignment was to start researching, start writing up a summary of the story & character and get the shape sketches and character poses sketches done. As a class we picked 3 well known stories that everyone knew and redesign the characters answering the questions: when, where, genre, audience and.... there was one more question that I can't recall off the top of my head.

The story I picked from the 3 we were given was Peter Pan. I decided to place the story in the future, in an underwater city where its citizens are immortal thanks to a special gem. Keeping the idea of pirates, Hook is a pirate who wants to get his hands on the gem. Peter Pan is King Peter Pangea of the city, Foreverland. His secretary is Tinks Bellfish (inspired by Tinkerbell) and Tic Tock the crocodile is Croc-Croc, Foreverland's mechanical shark security, made by Pangea. Hook is the only one whose name didn't get altered, mostly because at the moment I don't have a better name for him...other than maybe Anchor. But that's horrible and not creative.





No comments:

Post a Comment