Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Guest Speaker Claire Wendling and illustrations since last big post

I'll be honest, I didn't know much about Claire Wendling's work until recently but I must say her animals (or half human animals) anatomy are amazing! I got a couple of takeaways from her presentation as well, which is always a bonus from guest speakers' presentation in my book.

I'm paraphrasing a bit but 'Add water to everything, see what happens' and her method of using references. Instead of the way I've been using my references, by having them side by side, something I've made a habit of since making reference sheets for drawings, Claire Wendling looks at the references first, gets whatever she can into her visual library , with graphic notes if need be, and then draw from what she recalls from the visual library. Then she goes back to those reference images if things look off in her drawing. I feel like her method really does sound like something I should try out, though as she mentioned, figure drawing would need live models it seems like.


High Key painting! And next week's is low key, which I personally want to see how I do with low key.



From past two week's paintings, fabric folds (which I didn't share that week) and last week's casual setup.

(Photo quality is horrible, I apologize, the hallway light glare did more to the photo than I realized.)

Casual setup, where I really wish I had colors to make neon green (lemon yellow rather than cad yellow or yellow ochre.)

No comments:

Post a Comment