Tuesday, January 5, 2016

A new year, another step forward

    After my previous post, things got busy with finals and final projects. Most of those projects, I believe, if not all, have been posted to my Behance  but not quite yet on my deviantArt. I have several pieces still in queue in my dA stash but I'm slowly getting there.

   On the other hand, a few classmates/friends and I are doing a drawing/painting challenge on Instagram. Our plan is to draw/paint a character/prop/environment each day and post it on Instagram. Anyone on Instagram should check out #aauinstaeveryday. I personally missed the past 2 days trying to get something in, but I definitely plan on getting myself back on track!

Part of the reason why I missed the past two days was...

...due to a death in the family on New Year's Day.

 My family wasn't in a celebrating mood during the holidays while my grandmother was in the hospital. We knew her health was deteriorating the past few months. Or at least, I found out during the summer that her health was getting worse and her appetite fading. I still don't know what the actual cause was; during the summer I was told the reason was because of kidney cancer but recently I was told there was something else and/or the doctors weren't sure what was the reason. But we all knew something was wrong.

 Around this time, she went through a stroke too and seeing her (via video call) in the hospital with an oxygen tube attached through her nose, really hit me hard. My brother and I's last words to her were, "Grandma, ease your heart" (rough English translation).

That was two days before New Year's Day. The day before, I overheard the video call my dad picked up from my mom, who had been staying in Taiwan to help take care of her mother since September.  Heartbeats were in the 40s range.

By New Year's Day morning, 2am Eastern time (3pm in Taiwan), my grandmother had "gone home".

No comments:

Post a Comment