Monday, April 30, 2018

Mountain Cathedral


For this round's matte painting, I took a slightly different approach with the piece. In the Haven City matte painting, I had a rough value setup below the photos, and searched for pieces of the painting. In this piece, I found photos that worked with the idea of the piece, after having browsed through various saved pins on Pinterest, and threw them onto the canvas to see what I could do with them. 
The idea came to me after looking at saved pins of mountains before I thought about a What If scenario, of a cathedral up in the mountains, instead of a temple, which seemed pretty common in movies. 


Once I figured out placement, I began sketching in between, over and connecting the photos. 
None of the photos are mine so I can't take any credit for taking the photos. Unfortunately, I don't know who to credit for them either. 

Once the sketch lines were placed in, and I got a general idea of the piece, I started painting to fill in the gaps, before moving onto the cathedral. 

... then working on the bridge, hiker (which I also gathered photos for, though from Google). 
Obviously, without changing the hiker's details and pose, it would be a direct copy paste, which I wanted to avoid, for plagiarizing and taking other people's art (painting and photography). 
What you see above though, is not the original hiker image, since I already started changing details at this stage. 




No comments:

Post a Comment