Friday, September 6, 2013

Learning how to use a new medium

6:02 pm Pacific

It's never easy, learning how to use a new medium. I got to experience that feeling again during my Figure Drawing class yesterday when I had to learn how to sharpen [vine] charcoal and how to hold and sketch with it. I kept adding too much pressure when I was sharpening it so I kinda kept breaking my sharpened point, which was frustrating. The professor said it's best not to get frustrated so I have to remember to inhale-exhale while sharpening and see if that'll help me. Additionally, after class, and when I was back in my room, I looked up how to sharpen vine charcoal and I think  I've got it now. I'll be in the classroom again Tuesday so I can practice sharpening my charcoal before class starts.

Since the professor wants us to use a certain method when figure drawing, it's taking me a little longer than the rest of the class (or so I feel) to draw out my figure. I take too much making sure I've got the right angle and that I'm not missing any of the angles but I constantly go back and re-do that angle again and again. I know the professor said to take our time but I get the feeling I'm taking too much time, especially since the model holds the pose for only 20 minutes.

/edit Wow...I didn't think things through and wrote median instead of medium.

No comments:

Post a Comment