Monday, May 12, 2014

Rather stressful last day of class (Figure Modeling)





I will never understand Blogger's photo placement...
Regardless, my sculpture was completed with an addition of a base!
 I, as well as most of the class, wanted to keep my sculpture but that meant hollowing it out. Though it did shave off a good amount of weight...supposedly, putting it back together for me was rather difficult since my sculpture weighed so much already. The weight of the head and base was literally breaking the neck. In hindsight, I wish I broke this up into 4 pieces rather than 3; top of head, sides of head + neck and then the base. Ah... but then the pipe in the middle would have been difficult to work around. 
The patched up version is sadly, different from the original. The base, because of the neck and its many difficulties, isn't a straight line in front anymore.  The head shape probably changed as well since due to the weight, the back portion of the head kept fanning open, and tearing. 
Another hindsight, my sculpture wasn't dry just enough... I wish I had known that before I started hollowing out. But by the time I found out about it, I had already hollowed it out , struggled but did it, and was trying to put the pieces back together again (neck with base). Additionally, when I did find that information out, I had already spent 7-8 hours hollowing and re-piecing it together again. 

And to add more stress to the situation, I had to figure out if I really had to fill up a 5th storage box or if I could fit everything, with the addition of the sculpture, into the original 4 boxes. After about an hour of reorganizing and swapping items between the boxes (and a suitcase), I did it. But now I need to finish dinner within the hour so I can go to sleep and wake up for class tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment