Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Daikon Inspired Lamp Designs


During a long grocery run (many stores, far distances), I spotted some uniquely shaped Daikons Daikon Green according to the store's tag, which makes sense since they were dark green small daikon. The daikon I grew up seeing were the long white radish types, so these smaller and spherical shaped ones were new to me. 


Going forward from my sketches, both of direct studies and stylized shapes, I took one of the direct study sketch, as it made me consider lamp prop designs, and went from there. Somewhere along my sketches, in my sketchbook, I thought about paper lanterns and the idea grew into Japanese paper lantern lamps. 

From there, I played with shapes, dimensions, and designs of the lanterns while also playing with the shapes and dimensions of the base (which was based off of the selected daikon shape). 

For the colors, I originally thought about the standard cream white /yellow paper with light brown thin wood, but then wondered, what if there were other colors? As part of my experiment with digital watercolor brushes, I really tried seeing what colors worked together and played with blending. 

I'll have to play with digital watercolor brushes more, especially in a full painting situation but I do like how nicely they blend. The only thing that I might have to work on is, how to add contrast through value rather than colors; blacks and darks don't seem to register. 

No comments:

Post a Comment