Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Holo Desk and Drone design


I wanted to completely redesign an old desk I drew for my comic, Teens of Valor, since I found the old drawing lackluster and not as sci-fi as I wanted. 

The first drawing is actually pretty close to the first thumbnail, which, looking back, had such an unappealing shape design to it. In effort to make the desk more sci and add unique shapes into the design, I spent quite a bit of time thumbnailing ideas. 

I got some neat silhouettes out of the thumbnail process and picked a few for presentation sake, before moving towards the sketch and linework phase.

When I got to the color phase, I realized I default to greys and blues often for sci-fi props, and subconsciously wondered if I was trying to work in gray scale. 
When the happy accident of adding dark purple to the colors occurred, I wondered, what if I made the color palette dark tones?

This lead me to consider the presented color palette. Story wise, for the comic, I'm a bit unsure about using darks for the props as it belongs to the heroes' headquarters, but who said darks had to be 'evil'? To combat this color correlation, I added in some pinks on the purple and tried using warmer colors for certain parts. 

All in all, it was pretty fun to see the progress the shapes took from thumbnail to thumbnail and I really had to think about why certain parts would go where. 
Also, I get to draw a prop design presentation for the drones from the desk! In hindsight, I wish I designed those first...


During the thumbnail stage, I went through a large page of thumbnails before figuring out features, placements and things such as stability. 




No comments:

Post a Comment