Sunday, March 11, 2018

Workshop Bedroom - illustration

Illustrative piece based off of the isometric room I made (and later painted) from SketchUp

Painted room using SketchUp model as base (above)
said room from SketchUp (below)




With a rough sketch, and value paint over for lighting, I got the very basic idea down. 



From there, I applied color and some lighting but with little to no rendering.



As usual in my bigger painting projects, I got rid of the lines and painted up the shapes with some values and details. Eventually I decided the piece was too cool and adjusted the colors for a warmer look. I fidgeted a lot with saturation and value as I was working on this, before deciding I wanted to try again with matte painting, but on a small scale. Several textures went in, but nothing for large pieces, just a few machinery, few boxes and I was hand painting things again. Towards the end, I told myself I needed to bring the piece back to a consistency and put in textures for the floor, wall, cloth (ing), etc. 

It was a lot of back and forth and putting textures in, before painting over them again. This was definitely one of my larger PSD files, with the number of layers (40) I put in. Looking back, and moving forward, I realize I should put in textures and whatever I plan on using as a matte painting setup first, then do paint overs. The work method I used for this really was a lot of back and forth and made me feel like I was overworking this piece, which I might have actually.


No comments:

Post a Comment