Saturday, August 31, 2013

Watching "how to " videos on youtube and purchasing some supplies for classes

12:50 pm Pacific

Notes from watching "How to Paint Digitally" videos on Youtube:
It looks like flow remains at 100% while opacity obliviously gets changed throughout the painting process. The artist of a video I watched used 40% for sketching out the line art or rough line art, color dodge for highlights and multiply for shadows. It looks like he also uses 40% for shadows and highlights (on multiply and color dodge layers) for the lighting layer. After that, he puts the coloring in a group with normal layers within it so it creates a multiply property (rather than separate layers with multiply layers turned on). The base colors were painted in at 100% and the following layers are around the range of 20-40%
 I already knew about the opacity and multiply but I forgot about color dodge being used for highlights. For some reason I substituted 'overlay' for 'color dodge' as the layer blending mode for highlights. I believe overlay is more for bringing out more colors. I also need to remind myself to merge layers when I finish with whatever I was doing on that layer and to eyedrop + blend to even things out per merge. I should also try out the flatten option and build up from there for a few pieces.




As a result of watching one of the artist's videos, I decided to watch his other videos rather than just one. The other video I decided to watch really showed the time spent with finding references for poses.



4:27 pm Pacific
I just came back from buying some supplies that were out of stock online when I made my larger purchase and seriously wondering how I'm going to carry some of these things to class. An 18" x 24" notepad. That and a 23 x 26 as well. Ouch.
I wonder if this is where lockers come in handy? Actually, let me see where these lockers are located otherwise it'll be more of a hassle than help. It seems from the article these articles are located throughout campus...which won't necessarily help me. I take that back, from the FAQ it looks like lockers are where students would like them to be, in the buildings  (where classes are I assume). However, I don't think it'll help in too much since I'll most likely have to move notepads back and forth from my dorm to classroom or vice versa.  I guess in the end, I'll just carry things back and forth. I think with the exception of the very large notepads, everything else can fit in my backpack. As long as it's not super windy and/or rainy I should be ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment